Those who, while vacationing in Italy, are planning to visit Spain for a few days, have a lot of cheap options when it comes to air travel.
In most of cases, they are travelers who are aiming to design their own historic tours including art cities in Italy and Spain. They could base their stay in Italy and have short cheap holidays in Spain, or viceversa. As an example, these tours could include cities such like Granada, Seville, Barcelona, Madrid in Spain and Venice, Pisa, Rome, Florence in Italy.
There are some low-cost carriers offering cheap flights between Italy and Spain.
Budget airline Ryanair covers most of the routes linking the cities listed above.
If you are visiting Rome and then planning to head to Spain, Ryanair offers lowcost flights from Rome Ciampino airport to Madrid, Barcelona, and Seville. Should you be interested to travel to other destinations in Spain, you also have flights to Valencia, Santander and Zaragoza.
From Pisa airport — ideal location if you stay in Pisa or Florence or Tuscany — you have low-cost flights to Barcelona (Girona), Madrid, Malaga, Seville, and also to Valencia, Santander, Alicante and Canary Islands.
From Venice — actually, the airport of Venice-Treviso located 40km away from Venice — you have low-cost flights to Barcelona (Girona and El Prat), Sevilla and Valencia.
Should you be planning to travel to Spain from Sicily or from Milan, you have even many more low-cost options.
If you are timely with your bookings you can get, for just few euro (in the region of 30-60), tickets for flights on these routes.
Just keep in mind sometimes airports used by low-cost airlines are located in areas a bit far from the city center.
Below are some information and advice about transfers airport-city center for some of the airports used by low-cost airlines on these Italy-Spain routes.
– Barcelona – Girona Airport is located just 18 Km from Girona city. The bus journey connecting airport to the city takes about 20-25 minutes and costs €2.50 one way. Even if Girona Airport is 90km away from Barcelona, it is used as an alternative airport for Barcelona.
– Barcelona – Reus Airport is located 1 hour and 30 minutes by bus from Barcelona el Prat airport; tickets cost €12.00.
– Rome – Rome Ciampino airport is located approximately 15 Km outside of Rome. There are coach services connecting the airport to the city with tickets costing €4 single. The journey takes around 40 minutes. Taxis cost on average €35.
– Venice – Treviso Airport is located 3 Km from Treviso city center and 40 Km from Venice. The airport is connected to Venice city center by bus service Airport Bus Express. Ticket costs €7,00 if one way, €13,00 if return ticket.
– Milan-Bergamo – Orio al Serio airport is located about 45 Km from the city of Milan. A bus service connects the airport to Milan city center with ticket costing €9,90 one way, return €15,00. The bus ride to Milan will take about an hour.