If you are planning for a holiday break in January and you like shopping designer items, Italy is your destination. Even though most of visitors who plan to travel to Italy in January are willing to avoid crowds and peak season prices, shopping is one of the favorite activities for those who choose this month for a trip to ‘Bel Paese’.
That because the fashion sales season starts early January. It ends in March (see the calendar below), however in the early weeks you can grab the best deals. Where to get the best deals. All of the shops in the country offer discounts. If your stay is based in the large cities and are looking for design sales, here you have a quick guide.
- Milan – The leading designer shops are concentrated within the Golden Triangle, just east of Piazza della Scala and bordered from Via Montenapoleone, Via Sant’ Andrea and Via della Spiga.
- Rome – Rome’s high fashion in the city center is mostly in Via del Corso, Via Condotti, and in the other streets close to Piazza di Spagna.
However you can get the best designer deals in the large only-designer malls located outside the city.
– McArthurglen Outlet in Castel Romano (15 km away from Rome Eur).
Directions: from Rome EUR, take Via Cristoforo Colombo, then Via Pontina (SS 148), then Castel Romano exit;
or from EUR take Via Laurentina, then Via di Trigoria, then Castel Romano.
See directions and map details here
– Valmontone Outlet, along the motorway A1 Rome – Napoli. See details
- Florence - In the center of the city. However you can get the best designer deals at another McArthurglen’s outlet, in Barberino d.Mugello, about 20 miles north of Florence.
Also don’t forget Prada outlet, in Levane-Montevarchi; directions: take train in Florence, stop in Montevarchi, then take the bus to Levane.
Below you have the fashion sales calendar in Italy (by region)
Abruzzo: Jan 5 – Feb 18
Apulia: Jan 5 – Feb 28
Basilicata: Jan 7 – Mar 7
Calabria: Jan 15 – Feb 28
Campania: Jan 2 – Mar 31
Emilia-Romagna: Jan 5 – Mar 5
Friuli-Venezia Giulia: Jan 12 – Mar 31
Lazio: Jan 5 – Feb 15
Liguria: Jan 6 – Feb 19
Lombardy: Jan 5 – Mar 4
Marche: Jan 5 – Mar 1
Molise: Jan 5 – Feb 28
Piedmont: Jan 5 – Feb 29
Sardinia: Jan 8 – Mar 8
Sicily: Jan 5 – Mar 15
Tuscany: Jan 7 – Mar 7
Umbria: Jan 7 – Mar 6
Valle d’Aosta: Jan 10 – Mar 31
Veneto: Jan 5 – Feb 28
T.A.A.(Bolzano): Jan 7 – Feb 17
T.A.A.(Trento): Jan 7 – Feb 29